CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Winter Driving

I think you'd be proud of me if I told you how far I've come in my winter driving skills. A few years ago we moved from Kent, WA to Ellensburg, central Washington. It was my first real winter driving experience- and I HATED it. You can ask my husband and he will tell you that there were mornings when I'd have to pull over and call him because I was so scared I was crying. Of course, I had a longer commute to work at the time, on country roads with deep ditches on either side, and a speed limit of 50 mph... I could at my fastest reach maybe 35 before I could feel the road sliding out from under me. Yes, I spun out a few times, no I was never in an accident... but I remember praying earnestly every morning just to make it to work in one piece...

Then we moved to Montana, where I learned what a "real Montana Winter looked like"- The kind of cold that hurts way down to your bones. The negative 35 degrees winter that your car won't start it. The cold that makes your preschooler cry, even though he's bundled up tightly.

Last year I grumbled, cursed, and felt nervous behind the wheel everytime I got in the car. We got stuck a few times, again no accidents, but I was never so thankful for a thaw in all my life.

But, now I feel like a pro! Despite the several inches of snow we've gotten I have driven with alot more confidence. I haven't cried once! I still occasionally curse under my breath when it gets a little hairy, but over all a vast improvement. If anything I should be MORE nervous this year because I am pregnant and if I get in an accident it would be VERY scary, because it's not just me I have to worry about... but maybe because someone else is depending on me to be brave, I am able to just do it...

Anyway, I feel pretty proud of myself, and I thought I'd share. :)

1 comments:

Beth Tunnell

Good for you! But, you know, Jason is never letting you move back to Washington if you have an attitude like this about your lousy living conditions. I'm just saying, I'd like to have you closer to the Seattle area again :) but not crying about the drive is pretty good, too.

Post a Comment